JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the US based market leader of the e-cigarette category. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries. In APAC we have a growing team based in Singapore leading our Regional expansion efforts. To date we have launched our business in South Korea, Philippine and Indonesia and we are constantly exploring opportunities to reach adult smokers in new markets.
We are a diverse team of high performers with backgrounds in consumer goods, technology, healthcare, and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Legal Counsel, APAC must demonstrate the ability to draft, negotiate, and manage both single market and cross border commercial contracts with limited supervision, and should possess excellent communication and organizational skills. The attorney would be expected to work directly with business account team members and advise on a variety of day-to-day legal matters. Experience with consumer goods, retail/wholesale, intellectual property licensing, consultant and service agreement contract negotiation is a plus but not essential.
- Develop a deep understanding of the Company’s business and products and the applicable industry developments and requirements
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial agreements, including vendor contracts, software licenses, equipment leases and real property leases.
- Provide advice to the business on legal matters, including contract interpretation and enforcement, risk assessment, legal and regulatory compliance and corporate policies
- Provide advice to the business on contractual provisions regarding data privacy law matters as it relates to the legal obligations of each party.
- Resolve business disputes and, if necessary, assist in managing and participation in Company litigation.
- Assist and help manage contractual obligation monitoring and scheduling with the Contracts and Strategic Sourcing teams.
- Work collaboratively with a broad range of people and departments throughout the organization to develop and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues in finance, commercial/marketing, and people services, to facilitate a team-based approach.
- Engage with outside counsel to seek local law advice across markets to effectively advise business.
- Contribute to the broader legal team projects on development, harmonization, and implementation of standardized templates and processes.
- Juggle and successfully prioritize competing and voluminous work streams simultaneously. Proactively communicate and manage expectations with multiple stakeholders.
- Understand and be able to translate into “plain English” the legal ramifications of varied legal issues (including regulatory requirements) and clearly and succinctly articulate the risks. Provide valuable advice and counsel within the context of the broader business and enterprise-level objectives.
- Prepare and provide presentations to business partners as needed.
- Perform special assignments or projects as needed.
- Juris Doctor or equivalent law degrees
- 4+ years of legal experience (with at least two years at a law firm).
- Ability to review, understand, analyse, and interpret business agreements.
- Contract drafting and negotiating experience required.
- Consumer Goods experience a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills required.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in positively and successfully managing relationships with a high energy, diverse group of stakeholders across organizational lines.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated business acumen, including the ability to see the "big picture" as well as the relationship of very detailed and specific legal and business issues.
- High degree of organization and efficiency with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated accountability and keen ability to meet aggressive time frames.
- Ability to build credibility quickly and provide strong legal support for complex and challenging business opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage a variety of assignments and oversee areas of responsibility and prioritize activities in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Able to make decisions quickly but also good judgement on when to seek guidance and seek alignment on.
- Professional demeanor and ability to interact with persuasiveness and confidence.
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills; ability to appreciate people with different backgrounds and points of view and ability to create an inclusive environment.
- Personal integrity, sound judgment and strong ethics in business and personal conduct.
- Adaptable, comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity.
- A commitment to personal and professional growth and receptivity to feedback.
- Candid and personally secure. Ability and willingness to seek and receive feedback constructively.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS
- A place to grow your career - We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People - Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and Performance Bonuses - Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
JUUL Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment for all employees and job applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.