JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. The company has set an ambitious goal of helping 20 million people quit cigarettes by 2020.
The company was founded in Silicon Valley by consumer product experts and former long-time smokers, James Monsees and Adam Bowen, with the goal of creating a healthier alternative to cigarettes, improving the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers and those around them.
Today, JUUL is the number one US-based independent e-cigarette, selling over four million JUUL pods per month. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries. Propelling JUUL Lab’s success are our extraordinary employees who are committed to advancing our mission.
James and Adam were driven by the fundamental belief that the cigarette industry is ripe for the kind of positive disruption that has transformed how we access information, shop, stream TV and hire a car service. Their inspiration was sparked by a simple question: “if we can invent a personal computer that fits in our pocket, why can’t we engineer a technologically advanced, less harmful alternative to combustible cigarettes, a product that has remained unchanged for decades? They applied design thinking, rapid prototyping and advanced chemical engineering to create a viable alternative to combustible cigarettes. The result was JUUL, a product that is already demonstrating that an ENDS product can be a truly satisfying alternative to cigarettes. We also believe that JUUL also has potential to positively impact public health, and we are committed to doing the research and innovation needed to assure our products deliver on this promise.
As a mission driven organization, JUUL’s commitment is to not only be a good corporate citizen but to demonstrate that social impact has been in our DNA since our inceptions. We strive every day to set the bar for responsible, ethical and trustworthy industry leadership.
ROLE AND SCOPE:
We currently are searching for an experienced senior executive to lead strategy, planning and operations of JUUL Labs corporate responsibility function in APAC markets where the company currently operates and to support expansion efforts into new markets across the region.
This role will develop, manage and measure the effectiveness of a regional autonomous corporate responsibility function that aligns with and supports JUUL Labs’ global corporate mission, business objectives and social impact goals; operating with local flexibility within a global framework. In leading JUUL Labs’ APAC corporate responsibility efforts, the CSR Director's purview will span corporate philanthropy, sustainability, reputation measurement and social impact initiatives, as well as strategic programs that embody the best practices of responsibly run, ethical and trustworthy companies.
The successful candidate will report to JUUL Lab’s Head of Corporate Responsibility and Trust; serve as a member of the global Corporate Responsibility leadership team; and, and will be responsible for:
Corporate Responsibility: lead initiatives that build strong, more sustainable communities and, in doing so, live up to our obligations to employees, investors, customers and other stakeholders. The purview of this role includes:
1. Sustainability: in alignment with the company’s global strategy, lead local efforts to examine current state, identify vulnerability gaps and develop, launch and measure progress of a comprehensive Corporate Responsibility plan to close gaps and ensure JUUL Labs is meeting or exceeding expected standards.
- Environmental: partner closely with the Environmental Sustainability function within the product organization to support recycling and other programs to lessen the company’s environmental impact
- Social: examine how the company manages relationships with vendors, customers, employees, partners and the communities where it does business. Execute a plan to convey policies that hold APAC partners and JUUL Labs accountable for compliance
- Governance: determine if current APAC accounting methods are transparent and accurate; ensure governance meets the highest standards; that political contributions are handled appropriately the degree to which internal controls adequate, etc.
2. Corporate Philanthropy: set and execute APAC philanthropy strategy in adherence to JUUL Labs’ policies and guidelines and local regulations and statutes. Work in partnership with global, regional and market leads to advance and maximize global corporate giving. Lead APAC external philanthropic partnership development and relationship management efforts.
- Employee Engagement
- Collaborate with Finance, Human Resources, Communications and other relevant departments to support JUUL Labs Gives, the company’s employee volunteering and giving program that enables APAC employees to donate money, time and talent.
- Ensure that APAC JUUL Labs Gives programs reflect JUUL Labs’ values and that they are leveraged to bolster the company’s employee value proposition and attract top talent.
3. Measurement & Trust: Benchmark and track JUUL Labs corporate reputation among government and opinion influencers, as well as broader JUUL audiences across APAC. Set strategies and execute long-term proactive efforts to improve, preserve and protect trust in JUUL Labs and help advance business and brand building objectives. Work proactively to help JUUL Labs shape and influence the environment in which industry issues are debated. Contribute insights and counsel that assists local JUUL Labs business functions in managing issues. Work in close partnership with corporate communications and investor relations to minimize negative media and analyst coverage.
4. Cross-functional Coordination: Work closely with the Head of Corporate Responsibility and Trust to execute world-class programs and deliver outstanding results. Collaborate with functional leaders to develop and execute cross-functional / cross organizational initiatives aimed at advancing JUUL’s position as a social impact-centric company. Play a lead role in connecting dots, facilitating information sharing and integration and engendering greater cross-functional collaboration.
- Strategy: creating a construct for integrating existing activities and developing a cohesive corporate responsibility strategy for APAC in alignment with global goals and initiatives. Includes developing long and short-term plans; monitoring local market conditions and making necessary course corrections; and, identifying and advocating for ways to improve performance.
- Leadership: using professional experience, subject matter expertise and executive presence, engage with, educate and persuade internal stakeholders to ensure the company’s newly formed corporate responsibility function matures and grows in value and influence across the APAC and global organization. Manage a lean team structure that draws upon functional subject matter experts within the corporate responsibility function and hire exceptional talent to assist in managing day-to-day execution.
- Counsel: support critical business objectives by contributing corporate responsibility expertise, data and insights that inform the company’s decision making. Play an active role as JUUL Labs Corporate Responsibility counselor and evangelist. Collaborate with regional senior directors in APAC and the Americas to share best practices, drive efficiencies and contribute to the company’s global corporate responsibility plan.
- Management: directing efforts to identify and engage local strategic partners to support corporate responsibility measurement and reporting. Drive alignment, integration and collaboration with critical business units, including corporate communications, government relations, investor relations, human resources, marketing, legal, compliance, product, engineering, sourcing, etc. to ensure to develop and execute tactical plans. Develop functional budgets and manage expenses to annual plan.
- Reporting & Compliance: develop JUUL Labs APAC’s internal and external sustainability reporting constructs and cadence in line with global corporate efforts and industry best practices. Partner with local Legal and Compliance functions to ensure JUUL Labs’ observance of federal, state and local guidelines, standards, policies, regulations and statutes.
- Partnership Development: work in close coordination with APAC and global business and support functions across the enterprise that play a critical role in advancing JUUL Labs’ position as a responsible corporate citizen; including but not limited to: government affairs, corporate communications, youth prevention, sustainability, compliance, legal, people and marketing. Augment in-house staff with external experts to help advance goals and address challenges. Foster external partnerships that will help identify opportunities and facilitate program implantation.
- Budget Management: consistent with the operational nature of this position is responsibility for financial planning and management, as well as administration and responsible stewardship of all regional program budgets.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Executive Presence: upbeat, fact-based and vibrant management style; able to influence, drive consensus and gain buy-in from internal executive stakeholders. Operates collaboratively but decisively with confidence, resolution, poise and professionalism especially when faced with criticism, skepticism or adversity. Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Interpersonal Maturity: experience in developing lasting and productive relationships in complex, dynamic and rapidly growing organizations; ability to inspire, influence and persuade audiences with confidence and integrity.
- Collaborative: experience in effectively engaging with executives at all levels and with influential external stakeholders; equally adept at working vertically and horizontally across the enterprise; excellent active listening skills.
- Resourceful and Driven: proven self-starter, builder and problem solver with intrinsic initiative and experience in ruthless prioritization of deliverables while successfully managing competing demands. Driven by a unyielding focus on continuous improvement and sense of urgency.
- Change Management Experience: proven track record in implementing programs and initiatives across business and support functions and geographic regions.
- Business and Analysis Acumen and Detail Orientation: deep understanding of business strategy and metrics and proven ability develop strategic sustainability programs to support organizational objectives. Expertise in learning quickly, solving problems and experienced in decision making. Superior analytics, statistics and math skills. Familiarity with IT systems.
- Outcomes and Impact Orientation: experience in operating in a face-paced, scrappy and sometimes ambiguous environments and proven ability maintain focus on meeting or exceeding objectives environments and situations.
KEY ATTRIBUTES NECESSARY FOR SUCCESS:
- 12+ years’ experience in sustainability, environmental economics corporate responsibility, public affairs, management consulting within the APAC region.
- Bachelor’s Degree in sustainability, environmental studies, public affairs, economics or related field required. Master’s Degree in sustainability and compliance, environmental economics, business, law or public policy desired
- Experience in working with CSR metrics and measurement: quantitative analysis/data collection & reporting
- Experience and understanding of sustainability benchmark standards for reporting, certification
- Issues-experience ideal, but not critical: from general (public health/global health) to specific (genetics/genomics)
- Well established relationships with NGOs, international bodies, government agencies
- Evident leadership skills or a passion for conscious leadership and social change
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks. Lunch provided
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits